A one-day conference at Birkbeck School of Law.
It is with great enthusiasm that we announce the conference “Law at the margins of the city”, with the presence of Raquel Rolnik and Denise Ferreira da Silva as keynote speakers. This one day conference will take place on 26 March 2019, from 9:30am to 8pm (Venue: Clore Management B01) with the support of Birkbeck School of Law, the Centre for Research on Law and Race and the Socio-Legal Studies Association.
Raquel Rolnik is a professor of urbanism and architecture at the University of Sao Paulo and former UN special rapporteur on Adequate Housing.
Denise Ferreira da Silva is the director of the Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality, and Social Justice and professor at the University of British Columbia.
The conference will also host the book launch of Rolnik’s Urban Warfare: Housing under the Empire of Finance (Verso 2019).
- David Thomas, activist for the campaign for a Homeless Bill of Rights, Brighton and Hove Housing Coalition;
- Francesco Salvini Ramas, Research Associate at Kent Law School;
- George Meszaros, Associate Professor at Warwick School of Law;
- Josh Ryan-Collins, Institute for Innovation and Public Purpose, University College London;
- Melissa García Lamarca, housing rights activist & researcher at the Barcelona Lab for Urban Envrionmental Justice and Sustainability;
- Nadine El-Enany, Senior Lecturer in Law at Birkbeck, co-director of the Centre for Research on Race and Law;
- Priya S. Gupta, Professor of Law at Southwestern Law School, Visiting Professor at King’s College London, Affiliated Faculty at the Transnational Law Institute;
- Sarah Keenan, Senior Lecturer in Law at Birkbeck, co-director of the Centre for Research on Race and Law;
- Simon Elmer, founding member of Architects for Social Housing;
The event is free but REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED.
Please join us and help by publicising this conference in your circles. More information on the registration link.
Looking forward to welcoming you in our conference,
Moniza R Ansari, Carolina Amadeo, Harley Ronan (conference organisers)